Pages


Monday 6 May 2013

Day 1: Harrietville to Mt Loch

This is a much longer day that yesterday, thus, a longer post. With more pictures. The plan is to get to Mt Loch Car park, go to Mt Loch, backtrack a bit to take Swindler's Spur to Dubbin Hut. If I have time push on to Blairs Hut.

There is no surer way of waking up than a Kookaburra perched on your tent, telling you to get your ass out of bed. I did. But it was 5am and I went back to sleep. Got up nice and early at 7:30am, made a simple breakfast and packed, waiting for my driver to to reveille. Where is a Kookaburra when I need one.

First note of the day. It is colder than yesterday. As we approached Mt Loch car park, I told my driver, "We can't miss the car park. It is right beside a pond."

We missed it. Totally obscured by the clouds and fog. We u-turned and plunged into thick fog, where we hoped the car park would be. We did not go over the edge. That is good. It is windy and foggy and cold. That is bad.

"Are you sure you want to go do this?" my friend asked. OF COURSE I was not sure. I cannot see anything and it is cold and it is windy. However the alternative was 3 days of bluegrass in Harriettville. What is bluegrass anyway?

"I will be alright." I said as I opened the car door. I could not be sure if the wind or I opened the door. In any case, the door was open. The hike is on like donkey kong. I stood there blasted by the wind as the car pulled away, wishing being out of my comfortable zone was more, well, comfortable.Where is the banana

Hey dude? Where is all the snow?

I snowboard at Hotham a lot so I was familiar with the area. However, with long green grass, this might as well be Mars. I went into the rest area at the top of Heavenly Valley chairlift to layer up. It was time to go. As soon as I discovered which way to go. After wandering around and I finally found it. You have to go to the left of the pond. It was a waste of 5 minutes as the log book was totally drench. The box was lidless, possibly ripped by the wind.

I followed what looked like a rock trail and off I went.


Do not let my good photography fool you. This was not a nice sunday stroll. In anycase, it is not hard to get to Mt Loch. There was hardly any ascend and it was well marked.



Ok. I see the sign. Now lets go look for it. I think it is somewhere behind the fog.



I like fog. it makes for interesting photos. Then. I saw and good friend. Like good friends, we greeted with a hug.


 There was not much of it. But it was a welcome sign. Love snow.
 The summit was rather underwelming so I will not bother posting a photo. 
Mt Loch Summit Cairn


At this point, I cannot be bothered backtracking, so I decided to push on to Blairs Hut along Machinery Spur. I do want to see what the Red Robin mine is like. It is a 4WD track and was a rather flat walk. It was extremely foggy and uninteresting.



Coming around a small incline. I could see into the valley to my left. Finally. Some decent view.



After being blasted by the wind for about 3 hours, Machinery Spur ended and it was downhill along Keiwa logging track. The track consists of hairpins snaking its way down the valley. I was glad to be out of the wind. With the sky a little more blue and warmer. I was starting to feel good. I unlayered and made for Red Robin Mine.



Red Robin Mine. As a bonus, I got to meet Ken Harris, the operator of the mine. We had a good 40 min yak about the area and photography and I took a few photos of him at in front of the mine. I love a good environmental portrait. I should not post photos of people without their permission.

This little fellow did a gandalf on me.

YOU SHALL NOT PASS!

He came up and stopped square to me. It was one ugly thing. I stepped over him and continued.

The track went from


to

I was pleasantly surprised by the different landscapes I cross that day.

At some point I realised I dropped my fleece neck warmer. I remembered where I last saw it. I did not know if I can be bothered backtracking to look for it. I decided to not bother. Then I changed my mind. Then I changed my mind again. Then I changed my mind about changing my mind. It went on a a minute and I finally took my pack off, put it in the bushes, picked up a snack and went neck warmer hunting. 2 km later, I found it exactly where I took it off and stuffed it into my pocket.No more side tracks, except to take photos. of moss covered logs.


Eventually I got to Blairs Hut at about 3 pm. I was the only person at the campsite. I made good time, but I did skip lunch. Got some water to make coffee and I hung my sleeping bag and the tent out to air and dry in what is left of daylight.


Blairs Hut looked interesting so I did some photos. After taking photos of the outside. I had a peep inside. Who would not? Have you ever entered a room and everyone in the room stopped talking and just stared at you? Well, I open the door to Blair's Hut and that is exactly how I felt even though the hut was empty. I went in anyway and took 2 photos and split. The hut felt a little over crowded



  Blairs Hut has fireplace and I fancied a but of a fire for the night so I started gathering firewood. There was not much and I did not need much. I just wanted something for about 2 hours. The problem is, most of the wood is wet. I needed a saw and I remembered seeing one in the hut. This time, I knocked before going in. I do have manners.


Nice cosy fire going and I ate my dinner. After letting the fire go out, I went to bed early. 
I did get up in the middle of the night and got a moon shot.



Day 1 Summary
  • The Intention log at the start of Mt Loch Car park is to your left when you are facing the pond. 
  • The track to Mt Loch is easy to follow as long as you do not get distracted by all the signs of skiing runs
  • There is no water source along Machinery Spur. Via Swindler's spur, you can get water at Derrick Hut and Dubbin Hut. and I am sure you will come by streams and creeks at some point
  • Blairs Hut is about 2 km up of the Red Robbin Battery. You will pass a couple of bridges and at a Y junction, there is a sign  700m to Blairs Hut. Following that track, you will go uphill for about 500m. Then there is another y junction with another sign. Left to Blairs Hut and another 200m will be Blairs Hut. 
  • Knock before you go into Blairs Hut. Just to be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me how great or fail I am