Pages


Monday 6 May 2013

Mt Loch to Feathertop Hike: Day 0 - Melbourne to Harrietville

After my original plan of a 4 day Mt Bogong circuit was canned, I manage to scrap up a 4 day hike around and to Mount Feathertop.

Day 0 involves heading to Harrietville Caravan park and camping there for the night, to start Mount Loch part of the hike early. At least early enough to make Blairs Hut before it turns dark.

Left Melbourne at around 12pm and got to Harrietville around 5pm. with a lunch stop in Bright. Do not try getting lunch after 2pm in Bright. Most places stop serving lunch at 2. Country folks are not perpetually hungry. Once the clock hits 2, noone is hungry.




Harrietville caravan park was pretty in the evening and the creek was running well. A good sign for photos of creek flowing.




Setup the Lightheart gear Solong 6 for the first time. It was not hard. Except for pegging the tent. The ground seems to be 2 inch of soil over a concrete slab. I bent a steel tent peg. Speaking of which, I should get some titanium pegs soon.


This is a really bad pitch. I tidied up the corners after I took this photo. Nice light, comfortable tent. compared to my Vango Banshee 300, which is a nice tent too. For 2 people.

My route starts from
Day 1: Mt Loch cap park, to Mt Loch, then along Swindlers spurs, then West Keiwa logging track to Blairs  Hut
Day 2: Continue along West Keiwa Logging track, then up Diamantina spur to Federation Hut.
Day 3: Base Camp at Federation Hut and go up Mt Feathertop and explore nearby tracks.
Day 4: Sleep in and break camp and head down Bungalow Spur and back to Melbourne.


Time for dinner, 2 pints of beer and bed. Tomorrow awaits.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me how great or fail I am