Pages


Wednesday 8 May 2013

Day 3: Feathertop Goodness! and a mad dash across the Razorback

Today's post will be full of picturey goodness. If you run out of bandwidth, please feel free to pin it on me.

It was bloody-cold degrees that night. Very exact and scientific measurement of temperature. Misery matched only by the awesomeness that the morning would bring. I could not see into the future so I just plain miserable.

The plan of the attack was to go up to Feathertop for sunrise then explore the surrounding area and to chillout and relax. I set my alarm at 6:40 am with the intention of going up to Feathertop for some sunrise goodness. I reveilled miserably cold. I already had every item of clothing on so there was no way to get warmer. I packed food and water for a breakfast on Feathertop. 7 am and I was off. Late for sunrise I know, but it was hard to get into gear. May I burn in the furnace of hell for it. Hmmm...BBQ




Mt Feathertop is somewhere behind those trees. Lets go look!
The way to Feathertop has not been spared the ravages of the fire.




Onwards. The climb is not steep nor long. It was windy but bearable.


As I got higher up the summit. I cleared the cloud level and it was blue sky. Blameless blue

My best self portrait to date.

I found a spot a little sheltered from the wind and boiled some water for porridge and coffee. The view was great, the sun was warm. Life is good. Coffee could be better, but I'll live. 360 degree view of the Alpine NP.


OF COURSE! It makes sense now. FEATHER - TOP


This is a great photo. Pardon my humility. Check it out in IMAX size. On the ridge is the MUMC hut and the valley in a hazy blue. I think it could be Harrietteville.

I sat there soaking in the warm and UV. Someone from the campsite came up and spend a few minute there and left, Not before asking me to take a few photos for him. As I spend my morning there, he was the only person I saw. I had the whole summit to myself. I do not own the Apline NP yet, but it sure felt like it.

The morning was marred by my lack of power. Battery power. For the camera. 4 battery and 500 shots. Out of power. I screamed "JUST GIVE ME ONE MORE SHOT!" and was about to fling the camera off Feathertop when I remembered. Leave no trace.  That and the camera cost $750. I took to keeping all the batteries in my back pocket and swapping them when the camera flashed battery depleted. My radioactive behind that let me coax a few more photos from those inadequate power source.

Time flies and its pass 11 and really should move my ass. I wanted to head down Tom Keen track to the creek to get some water and head up to see MUMC hut but the track was closed due to fire damage. I debated if I should go on. I decided to be a sign abiding hiker and head back to Federation Hut for water from the rain tank.

 By 12 I got back to my tent. The sun was nicely warm. I rolled up the fly to air the tent and put out the sleeping bag. As I was boiling water (AGAIN!) for coffee, I got a message alert and it was my friend in Harrietteville telling me that there is severe weather coming. Hmm..last night was pretty shit. Can I stand another night here? It was then I discovered another dire situation. Surer and more immediate than possibly bad weather.

I was out of coffee.

Out of battery power and out of coffee. There was not any real reason for me to stay. Without coffee or electricity, we are no better than animals. This ape got packing

It is 12:10pm. I worked out that by the time I eat and pack it should be about 1pm and I'll take about 4 hrs to make my way across the razorback. I message back, meet me at Diamantina Hut at the start of the Razorback at 4pm.

Wait a minute, you say. It does not add up. it is 12pm you leave at 1pm and 4 hrs so it should be 5 pm?
Yes. Please do not show off. You can do maths. I cannot. I am a disgrace to my race. You should also realise that impossible deeds are done by people who did not know otherwise.

I finish packing and started my way across the razorback at 12:50, glad to have extra 10 minutes.


The fire did not detract from the great view from the Razorback. Nature tells an interesting story. The fire damage was a lot more obvious here. There was burnt stumps on either side of the track. Fire is a natural disaster. Things burn and things regrow. Such is life.



It is not all burn and charred.


I kept a very brisk pace, slow jogging when it was flat. I passed at least 3 groups heading to Federation Hut. Looks like it is going to be cosy there tonight.

Finally I can see the chairlifts at Hotham. 1 last km. There was some clouds coming in and it was getting chilly.

The Great Alpine Road. End of the hike. Exactly 4 pm. 3 hrs and 10 minutes.


Day 3 Summary:
  • Feathertop is awesome. 
  • The weather can change quite quickly in Alpine areas.
  • Bluegrass is banjo, guitar and double bass
  • Gerald Pink makes great Beef jerky. 
  • I need to find a more comfortable pair of shoes for hiking. 
  • Blogging is fun but not as easy as it looks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me how great or fail I am