Pages


Tuesday 7 May 2013

Day 2: Blairs Hut to Federation Hut

The aim of the day is to get out of bed (sleeping bag), continue along West Keiwa logging track and go up Diamantina spur to get to Federation Hut and maybe go up to Feathertop for a romantic sunset with myself.

Getting out of bed proved harder than it sounds. I heard rain last night, not wanting to get wet, I boil water under the vestibule for porridge and coffee and stared packing. Exiting the tent after everything was packed, I realise that IT DID NOT RAIN. The damn creek and wind tricked me into thinking it did. The entities in the hut did were reclused so I had this moron moment to myself. 8:30, its time to go.

Before I leave, more running creek photo.



It is about 700m to get back on the main track and I can see the area where I camped last night.

Blairs Hut from a different perspective. 

The track ran along the Kiewa River. There were certainly interesting spots along the river. At one point, 2 creeks joined as they cascade over a log and more boulders. I really need to take photos. I found a boulder on the rocky river bank. Better yet, I found a fallen log that bridge the track and the boulder. I dump my pack, and tried to make my way across.

As I told myself "You better not slip." I did. The first step. 
No harm done. I was prepared. i am starting to feel these trail running shoes are unsuitable. the log as wider than butt width so I bum slid down. 




Going back up was a lot harder. Gravity works one way. The log was about 5 meters long. too far to jump, so I flung my tripod up and belly climbed my way up. It worked.

Next stop, Diamantina Spur. Only 3.5km to the Razorback. Should not be hard. Afterall, I climbed stairscase to Mt Bogong with a pack at least 5kg heavier.



I have heard things about Diamantina Spur. It is hard. How can can it be. After all I've climb Mt Bogong...with...blah blah blah blah. Well, it is hard. It started like this and it didnt get easier for the first km.

Yes. There is a track under all the debris. That is how Diamantia spur starts

The climb was not pretty, but the view was.







I found it tough going and I realised I did not allow myself adequate recovery after my Bogong hike. The first 1 km of the spur was STEEP. In parts, involving climbing hand and foot. Trekking poles helped. After about 1 hr of climbing I finally came to a flat area!

Fist pump! Yeah! Eat that Diamantina spur! That was not too bad. Time for some coffee and lunch and to try out my clothes.

Blue screen?

As I was having lunch and enjoying the view. I spied this lone tree sticking out right on the top on a knoll, wishing for a shot from that vantage point.

Fare evasion on the Diamantina Spur.

You know what they say. Be careful what you wish for. Next time I am going to wish for a million dollar. No Wait. One Billion Dollars. No wait. One Billion Million Dollar. Delivered by a hot, leggy red head.



I think that is Mt Jaimanthang. It looks like a spectacular ridge walk. I will have to do that some day.

After that nice view, the track flatted out a bit on the ridge.


There have been times where I wish things will ever end. Diamantina Spur was not one of them. It went on and on like the Evil Energizer battery. It is around 1pm at this point. The weather was starting to change and I pick up the pace, which mean 20 steps per 5 second rest instead of 10 steps.

As the clouds rolled in and the wind picked up. Mt Feathertop went from



to


All evil spurs come to and end and it finally joined the Razorback. Ken mention that once I got to the west side of the razorback I will be able to see the damage of the fire earlier this year.


Federation Hut was not far and I just legged it, arms pumping.


It was around 4 that I made it to Fed Hut and after a quick recce, selected this spot and made myself a well earned coffee. There was about 9 people in total at Federation Hut that night. After not seeing anyone for almost 2 days, I was a bit spoiled. Till I buy the Alpine National Park, I would have to learn to share.


By this time, the fog was rolling in. I decided to not go up Feathertop. I left my thermals and wool hoodie in  the fading sunlight to dry.

Time for some grub. I cooked up a lentil and dahl curry. It smelt great. As some of the other hikers were coming back from Feathertop. I cold hear more than one say. "Something smells great! That dude is cooking some mad curry." Thank you Ainsley for a nice lentil and dahl curry.

*After linking the lentil and dahl curry. I realise, from the website, that 1 packet is 2 serves. I ate it all. Fat bastard. *



It was not so windy, but it was cold, more than the previous 2 nights. I slept early but work up to answer nature's call and take a photo. At about 10 pm, the night was clear and the moon was out. It was still at that point. The wind did pick up overnight. Not gale force, but a lazy 10-15 km/h wind.


I went back to bed on what would be the coldest night I have every experianced outdoors. Overnight it came to bloody-cold degrees. My mid layer did not dry in time but I do have spare thermals. I put on everything I could. It was at this point where I am glad I changed my mind about changing my mind regarding changing my mind about abandoning my neck warmer. It would be a shame to wake up to a snapped frozen neck. Especially when I had the best time of the hike tomorrow. But how would I know how good tomorrow would be. If I did know, the thought would have warmed my heart in that bloody-cold degree night.

Day 2 Summary
  • Diamantina Spur starts really steep for the first km. Ascend is hard, descend is looks harzardous at times. Try not to fall backwards.
  • The bottom of Diamantina spur is a bit overgroom but the track is still visible
  • The last source of water is the Keiwa River at the bottom of the spur or at Federation Hut.
  • At times the track is not so obvious, but there is only 1 way. UP. As long as you keep going against gravity, you will get to the Razorback at some point. 
  • There are a few sheltered flat sites along the Spur for which you can use for emergency campsite. EMERGENCY!!!
  • The Sigma DP1 Merrill has abysmal battery life. Day 2 and I am into battery #4. Great photos. SHIT battery life.  
  • From Diamantina Spur, I can see what looks like a really great ridge walk along Mt Jaimanthang. I really have to look into it.
  • These Vivobarefoot trail running shoes am wearing are unsuitable for hiking. They have no traction over rocks and logs. The back of the shoes cup the heels really tight uphill, making it uncomfortable.
  • I need a down jacked. 
  • I need a better sleeping bag
  • Ainsley meals are quite adequate for hiking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me how great or fail I am