Pages


Saturday 18 May 2013

Day 1: Mountain Creek Camp ground to Cleve Cole Hut

I woke at 7:30, just before the alarm went off. The morning was a bit chilly. I laze about for a bit before I exited the tent to make some breakfast and start packing. The tent was wet. I hate packing wet tent.

As I was packing, Andrew noted at how much I was carrying and convinced me that the extra 3 litres of water was superfluous. I was also carrying a 3kg 3 men-but-really-2-men tent. And an extra day pack for when we go exploring tomorrow. I never weight my packs. Ignorance is a bliss. I worked out the pack was at least 20 kg. possibly 23kg. At this point, the only thing light weight I had was the sleeping mat which was a thin foam mat. Everything was heavy. When you are poor, you just got to toughen up.

Some of the others in the group opted for a more civilized accommodation in a motel the night before. The plan was to met at 8:30am at the start of the track. Which was where we camped, so we did not have to go far. As with most designated start time, we did not make it. only 20 minutes late though, so it was alright.

Our friendly neighbour sent us off with the promise to provide base camp support when we got back. Again, I have no power of precognition, so I could not know lottery numbers nor how much I would appreciate the base camp support that those lovely people would provide. Knowing the future is so handy but could also ultimately make things a bit dull. No excitement of overnight dusting of snow nor hiking in torrential downpour.

It is about 2 km to the actual start of the Staircase spur. The trees casted dramatic shadows on the ground.

  

And Staircase spurs starts

At this point, there was hardly any elevation gained, just 2 km traversed.
Physical status Update: A-O-K
The walking within treeline was rather dull so I was sparse with the photos. 


Bivouac hut was a hut too far. Though only about 3 km from the bottom, it was an ascent with to respite. Every step taken was elevation gained. Eventually I thought I saw the hut. It was a welcome sight.


Then I discovered it is acutally a drop toilet at Bivouac hut.

Time to recharge my sugar reserve. Those were, in fact, the only snakes we saw on the trip. And they were tasty. This one, looked a lot less so.



 Physical status Update: Quads burning, legs are still attached. Still ok to go on.
After a 15 minute break, we departed for the second leg of the journey. The objective was the summit of Mount Bogong and lunch.

The view after Bivouac Hut was more interesting as we started climbing above the treeline. It was mainly ghostly gumtrees.


This is one of those moments that you have to be there to enjoy it. from where I was taking the photo, that hill looked like the back of a hedgehog.


I passed a few people at some point, going either direction. The common comment was. "Good day. You pack looks heavy. Some of it must be booze." At this point, I face palmed. I am carrying all this weight and there is no alcohol! At this point, my quads and glutes are burning. I disguised my many micro breaks taking photos. Every rock or log that I could rest my ass and my pack on, I took. It was slow going but we were still on schedule. At some stage, I was asking myself why I was doing this!

As we neared the summit, we left all trees. The landscape cleared



Finally, some flat tracks! My right quads was shot and my hamstring was starting to cramp a little.


The flat parts did not last long. Before long, we were on our way up again. Between my breaks photo taking, and my snail pace, I lagged the group.




This was with the lens zoomed in all the way (300mm focal length).
This is 28mm


Where's wally? Here they are.


Time for another break!


Almost to the summit. After we pass the rocks, there was a pool of water from a spring and many little rivulets of water flowing from the spring. The view from the summit was great. Nice blue sky and the sun was out but it was windy and a bit chilly. Lunch time. Finally pack off and a proper rest.


We found a party crasher. 


After a very needed break, we donned our packs and headed off once again. Destination, Cleve Cole Hut.
This part of the walk was very scenic with comfortable leisurely descent. However, the damage was done and my left hamstring and calf started cramping, so I slowed to an even more leisurely pace. 


I was the last to stroll into Cleve Cole Hut campsite. The other in my party were already starting to pitch their tent.







It was still warm and I took this chance to sun the sleeping bag and tent and my sweat soaked t-shirt.



The sun set and we sat around making dinner and pretended that we had fire.A pretend fire was not as good as a really one so we scurried off to our tents to catch some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me how great or fail I am